Wednesday 29 August 2007

working in an office is not for me

I thought I would enjoy working in an office. That is I enjoyed working at AGL and thought I would have a similar experience in the public service.

Sadly I didn't, and I have waited a sufficient amount of time to write about the experience.

I found the environment stale and unwelcoming. clique' and group think infested.
The organisation stifles growth because it still works on the peter principle and unfortunately the area I moved in to, had just promoted a manger so that she had reached the highest level of her incompetence.
Which is fine if she has people willing to clean up mistakes for her, and that is the culture of the public service department I went to.
Minions tidying up for incompetent managers, organising meetings where no decisions are made just discussion.
In the public sector tasks are drawn up and results are expected within allocated time frames, in other words the expectation is if you perform and complete tasks you get paid.

In the public service you just have to turn up, not necessarily competently complete anything and you get paid. I didn't adjust very well to in activity, and I asked for more to do.

My manager said to slow down because I was responding to quickly to requests to have things done.
I managed some minor achievements in the short time I held the temporary assignment, one of them being identifying where we can save $3000 for printing costs per month.

I probably would have enjoyed the role more if I was contributing more to the team , but as the financial reporter for the section I wasn't involved in writing ministerials or decision making and was left out of much of the discussion.

I had never worked in an environment where blatant segregation in discussion is conducted and considered normal. It just went against the grain to be spoken down to and excluded when I have such an outgoing personality.

Being on temp assignment also meant that many aspects of the job weren't explained and finding my feet in organisational structure was a trial because no one helped or offered to help.

I spent the first two weeks in the compactor learning what I could about the section and the work that is done in the organisation. It prepared me for answers to the many enquiries I received as I knew the history on many of the decisions made.
Once I gained confidence, the job became more interesting , but there wasn't enough to do to keep me interested.

I had a handover of one day, and in my exit interview the Manager said how she understood how hard it must have been for me to take over in one day when she had a hand over of 5 months and still knows nothing about the organisation.!

I would never work there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I put it in the same category as the mushroom farm.

The culture was very similar to the bullying and bad behaviour generated and perpetuated by the management down.

So now I am at home, setting up a web site for cooking called cooking with nia .com and writing articles through elance and of course taking opportunities with pay per post.

So this is much nicer, no one looking over my shoulder, complaining about the level of my writing ability, I'm published she ( my previous manager) isn't!

I am investigating affiliate marketing as I have seen some amazing success with that business and read widely about the incredible success people have had with it.

I know it is my turn to be one of those success stories.

No more working for incompetent managers who don't walk the talk, who have no people skills and no team work ability.

In this team there is only I and if it is gonna be it is up to me.

No comments: